Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Why this blog?

I have always had interest in cooking. Not enough to become a full-time chef but enough to have enthusiasm to learn how to make dishes I really loved  from Mom. Chai and rasam were what I learned to make first.

After I moved to the US to do my Master's, cooking lost some of its charm because cooking was inevitably followed by washing dishes - a chore I dislike very much to this day. Still, I persisted - how could I not? After all, the foodie blog world had exploded and drool-worthy pictures of dishes and the steps to make them were available for the clicking.

I no longer had to make a SOS call to mom every time I wanted to try some traditional dish. And if I was stuck with some ingredient and no ideas, I just had to Google for recipes featuring that ingredient and pick out something which sounded yummy. How cool was that! Over the years, I have tried tons of recipes from the various food blogs/web-sites. Some have turned out lip-smacking, I-will-make-it-again-for-sure yummy, some have turned out okay and some have been outright disasters. This blog is to track the recipes I tried which fell/fall into the first category.

Actually speaking, this blog is more for myself than anyone else. Many a time, I try some awesome recipe and forget to bookmark it. The next time I want to make the same dish, I am left trying to recall which exact keywords on google brought me to the recipe. Kinda gets tiring on the brain soon.

With this blog, I am simply going to keep track of links to the recipes I tried and liked very much along with any modifications I made, if any.  And also favorite recipes I got off magazines or books. So next time, instead of bowing to the Google God, I just need to do a search on this blog for repeat recipe performances.

And oh, I am pro-healthy/tasty cooking. As far as possible, I try to avoid deep frying and/or using too much oil. I tend to bake or grill instead or worst case, shallow fry instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raw Banana Stir fry

 This recipe is adapted from cookdtv. Ingredients 1 raw banana or 2 small bananas 2 tbsp sesame oil 1/2 tsp mustard 6 cloves crushed garlic ...