Friday, November 26, 2010

Mummy's yummy salad

I have often eaten this delicious salad at my parents' place but have just been too lazy to try it out on my own. Today was finally the day. After a quick phone call to mum, I set about making the salad:


Ingredients (makes enough salad for two):

1 medium sized onion, peeled
1 small carrot, peeled
1/2 of a large cucumber, peeled
1 apple (any red variety), peeled
12 almond
6 dates (de-seeded)
12 raisins
Juice of half a lemon
3/4 tablespoon honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Slice/chop into fairly-small pieces all the ingredients up to and including the dates. I used a mandolin slicer for slicing the onion, cucumber and apple and a knife for the rest.
2. In a bowl big enough to hold all of above, add and mix all ingredients.

Ta da, that's all! Healthy and tasty salad is ready to eat. Serve immediately.

All the ingredient quantities can be varied as per taste. Sliced mandarin oranges would make a great addition. I think jicama slices instead of apple would work too - but since I haven't spotted jicama in Chennai yet, I will have to wait to try that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raw Banana Stir fry

 This recipe is adapted from cookdtv. Ingredients 1 raw banana or 2 small bananas 2 tbsp sesame oil 1/2 tsp mustard 6 cloves crushed garlic ...