This dish has a lengthy recipe but is actually quite easy to make. It is a nice change from the usual poriyal.
Ingredients (makes enough for two):
1/4 kg green beans:
2 medium onions
6 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the onions fairly thin. Toss the onions with 1/2 tsp of Olive oil and spread the sliced onions in a thin layer on a greased oven proof dish.
2. Roast the onions in an oven heated to 200 C till the edges of the onions begin to turn brown (about 15-25 minutes, check frequently to avoid burning). Keep aside.
3. Destring and cut the green beans into 1" slices. Sprinkle some salt over it and steam in the microwave on high until almost cooked (about 8 minutes). Keep aside.
4. Coat a pan with olive oil and keep on stove with medium heat.
5. Chop the garlic fine, add it to the pan, turn down the heat and stir fry till garlic starts turning golden.
6. Add in the steamed beans and stir fry.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Cover and cook on low heat till the beans is cooked through (you might want to add a little bit of water to the pan before covering in case the beans start to burn).
9. Turn off the heat and stir in the roasted onions from Step 3.
Serve hot with rotis and dal.