|Tawa fish fry|
Marinated fish pieces
A lid to cover the entire tawa
1. Coat the entire tawa with a thin film of oil.
2. Place it on a stove at medium-high heat and heat it.
3. Place the fish slices without overlap on the tawa.
4. Cover the tawa with the lid and cook till the fish starts changing color (meaning it has gotten cooked). This will take 3-4 minutes. Medium high heat should not be burning the fish, but if it is, reduce the heat to medium. If the fish seems too dry, add a few drops of oil around the sides.
5. Flip the fish over and repeat step 4.
6. Now reduce the heat further to simmer and flip the fish again. This time cook without the lid for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Flip the fish and repeat step 6.
At this point, fish will be done. Serve hot!
Remember to heat up the tawa on medium-high heat and coat it with a thin film of oil before frying every batch of fish.
Can be any combo of the following
Red chilli powder
Fenugreek seeds (only a little, say 5-7, too much will add a bitter taste)
A few fresh garlic cloves
A little tamarind
Grind all of the above with enough salt for the quantity of fish you have got and a little water to make a fine paste. Apply on all sides of the fish and marinate for a couple of hours outside or overnight in the refrigerator. Bring down to room temperature before cooking if you had placed the fish in the fridge.
No quantities are mentioned for the ingredients above on purpose. It varies depending on the quantity of fish and your palate. In general, the chilli powder and dhania would form the base for the marinade while the rest of the ingredients act as accents.